This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Are you buying school uniform clothing for Metro Nashville Public Schools?
Interpreting Nashville’s school attire guidelines is trickier than I thought it would be!
Also, MNPS finally released the list of additional shirt colors for each Nashville school.
Following are a few “real parent” tips for interpreting Nashville’s new Standard School Attire clothing rules.
I have used the current MNPS guidelines for reference.
As the 2007 school year draws closer, additional rules may be available through your child’s school.
If there is any question, check with your child’s school principal for advice.
COLORS FOR NASHVILLE SCHOOL SHIRTS:
After the School Board approved the Standard School Attire plan, each school was allowed to choose up to 4 additional shirt colors. Students at every school can wear white and navy shirts, too. Here are the additional shirt color choices for Overton cluster schools, which draw from a slice of Brentwood:
- Granbery Elementary shirt colors: yellow, pink, red, green
- Shayne Elementary shirt colors: yellow, red, pink, black
- Crieve Hall Elementary shirt colors: red, pink, blue, green
- Tusculum Elementary shirt colors: blue, red, green, pink
- Binkley Elementary shirt colors: red, blue, green, yellow
- Croft Middle School shirt colors: forest green, light blue, pink, black
- Oliver Middle School shirt colors: red, purple, black, royal blue
- McMurray Middle School shirt colors: light blue
- Overton High School shirt colors: red, black, green, blue
Is your school not listed? Check the complete list of Nashville school shirt colors.
BUYING SHIRTS FOR NASHVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- Shirts must have SLEEVES and COLLARS.
- Unless a specific shade is listed, any shade of an approved color should be acceptable. For example, “blue” means anything from sky blue to royal blue; however, McMurray’s “light blue” is light blue only.
- Turtlenecks are okay — but probably not mock-turtlenecks, which don’t have a true fold-over collar.
- Shirts can have a logo up to 2 inches in diameter.
- Any material is allowed except for see-through and torn fabrics.
BUYING SHORTS FOR NASHVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- Shorts are allowed. The SSA page does not give guidelines for length. However, that may fall under the school dress code or district dress code policy. The traditional test is typically fingertip length.
- Shorts can be elastic waist all the way around.
- If shorts have belt loops, the student must wear a belt.
- Cargo shorts will not be permitted. Right now, no one knows if so-called hiking shorts or shorts with decorative key pockets will be allowed. To be on the safe side, buy standard shorts without extra pockets.
- Any material except for denim is fine (not even black or khaki denim).
BUYING PANTS FOR NASHVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- Pants can be navy, black, or any shade of khaki.
- Elastic waist pants with no belt loops are fine.
- If pants have belt loops, a belt must be worn.
- NO cargo pants, even if the pants are khaki.
- Any material is acceptable, except for denim — not even black or khaki denim.
- Jogging pants and athletic pants aren’t mentioned. MNPS’ slide show does state that all shorts and pants should be “dress or dress casual.” If you have a child who needs to wear jogging pants, check with the principal. They may be permitted if they are well-fitting and in navy, black, or khaki. However, students would have to tuck their shirts into sweat pants or athletic pants just like they would in regular slacks
BUYING SHOES FOR NASHVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- The guidelines list “acceptable footwear.”
- This includes sandals and athletic shoes of any color, but not house shoes.
- If shoes have shoelaces, they must be worn laced and tied.
- Check with your child’s school regarding flip flops.
BUYING BELTS FOR NASHVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
There is no mention of which colors or styles of belts will be permitted. High schools in particular will probably restrict belts to certain colors, like black and brown.
WEARING NASHVILLE SCHOOL UNIFORM CLOTHES:
- How your child wears the clothes is as important as what he wears.
- All shirts must be tucked, no matter what the length. Don’t buy too-short shirts.
- Pants must be pulled up to the waist, not the hip. If the pants won’t go up to the waist, don’t buy them.
- The popular trend of layering shirts is not allowed. Students can wear 1 under t-shirt in school colors, a shirt, and one sweater, vest, cardigan, or jacket. That’s 3 layers, tops.
Best Shopping Tip: Print a copy of the MNPS Standard School Attire guidelines before you go shopping. Then, save your receipts and leave the tags attached! If your child’s school tweaks the rules before the first day, you’ll be able to return whatever is not approved.
I have researched which chain stores now offer uniform clothing in Nashville, as well as how to order MNPS’ new uniform clothing by catalog and in Nashville uniform shops.
I'm a wife, mom of 4, and resident of Brentwood, Tennessee. I love finding fun new things for my family to see and do in Brentwood and the Nashville area!